Have you noticed your boyfriend spending more time than usual on his phone lately? Does he seem to quickly switch screens or angle it away when you walk by? Do you have a nagging feeling he may be cheating or messaging other girls online behind your back?
In today's digital age, cheating often leaves an online trail on social media and dating apps. Your boyfriend's Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Tinder and other accounts could provide clues if he's being unfaithful.
This guide will cover the biggest signs your boyfriend may be cheating on social media, how to catch him in the act, and what you should do next if your suspicions are confirmed. Read on to learn more.
Signs Your Boyfriend is Cheating on You on Social Media
Here are some of the most common social media red flags that your boyfriend may be involved with someone else online:
- He is constantly on his phone around you but angles the screen away. He seems to guard his phone and get very secretive when texting or using social apps around you. This sketchy behavior is a huge sign he's hiding something like messaging other women.
- He hides notifications and deletes messages. You catch him quickly dismissing notifications that pop up from dating apps or other girls. He also religiously clears his messaging history. Major cheating alert!
- His social media and app usage increases. He suddenly starts spending way more time scrolling Instagram models, adding Snapchat friends, and downloading new messaging apps.
- You notice new social media accounts. You stumble upon new Instagram, Twitter, Tinder or Snapchat accounts he created without telling you. Very suspicious…
- He acts extra defensive about his phone and online activity. Your once open boyfriend shuts down questions about who he chats with, locks his phone, and refuses to show you his notifications. He's likely communicating with other romantic prospects.
- He changes his privacy settings to be more secretive. You can no longer see his posts, friends/followers lists, or stories. He has something to hide.
If your boyfriend is exhibiting one or more of these social media red flags, he may very well be cheating on you online. But how can you catch him in the act?
How to Catch a Cheating Boyfriend on Social Media
If your gut is telling you your boyfriend's sketchy online behavior means he's cheating, here are some ways to find proof:
- Check who he follows and who follows him. Take a look at his followers list and who he's following on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc. Flirty comments from girls you don't know or messages could confirm cheating.
- Look for overly flirtatious comments and messaging. Snoop through his pictures and posts. Flirty, sexual or overly familiar comments from other women are giveaways, especially if he flirts back.
- Check if he has hidden or secondary accounts. Cheating guys often create private Instagram or Snapchat accounts. Search his name, email, and phone number to uncover secret accounts.
- See if his relationship status changed. Cheaters often secretly change their Facebook status from “In a Relationship” to hide the fact that they're taken. His relationship status can give clues.
- Look for odd posts, check-ins and activity times. Pay attention to posts, location check-ins, and activity periods that don't align with when he said he was working, with friends, or too busy to see you. Could indicate he's lying about his whereabouts.
With some sleuthing, you may be able to find the proof of him cheating on social platforms. But what should you do next?
What to Do If You Catch Your Boyfriend Cheating Online
Discovering concrete evidence your boyfriend is cheating online is devastating. But avoid reacting in anger. Instead:
- Confront him calmly with the evidence. Show him the proof you found – flirty messages, questionable check-ins etc. But avoid accusing. Just say you want to understand what's going on.
- Have an open, honest conversation about your relationship. Allow him to explain himself and speak openly about problems leading to his cheating. Listen without blaming. Reflect on how to rebuild broken trust.
- Consider couples counseling. A therapist can help facilitate difficult conversations about cheating in a productive way and give tools to repair intimacy.
- End the relationship if trust can't be restored. As painful as it is, breaking up may be healthiest if he continues lying or cheating. You deserve someone fully committed to you.
Discovering a cheating partner is always hard. But clear communication, rebuilding trust overtime or moving on can lead to happier, healthier relationships.
Key Takeaways: Signs Your Boyfriend is Cheating on Social Media
- He constantly uses his phone but hides the screen around you
- He deletes messages and notifications
- His social media usage and accounts increase
- He gets defensive about online activity
- His privacy settings change to hide things
- You find flirty messages and questionable posts/check-ins
Catching a cheating boyfriend red-handed gives you the facts you need to make informed decisions about your future together. While no magic formula can fix a broken relationship, honesty and counseling may mend bonds. But ultimately you deserve someone who cherishes and respects you, not cheats! Don't ignore red flags or settle for less than you're worth. Prioritize your self-respect first.
FAQs About Catching a Cheating Boyfriend on Social Media
What are some other signs my boyfriend is cheating online?
Other signs include getting notifications late at night, laughing secretly at messages, hiding his screen when you walk by, and paying more attention to his phone than you when together.
What apps do cheaters use?
Common cheating apps include Tinder, Bumble, OkCupid, Snapchat, Kik, WhatsApp, and secret messaging apps like Telegram. Cheaters also misuse Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to flirt.
Should I check his phone?
You have a right to check his phone if you share the phone plan or suspect cheating. But breaching trust without asking can damage the relationship further. Have an honest discussion before snooping.
What do I do if he refuses to show me his phone or messages?
Refusing access suggests he's hiding cheating activities. Tell him this raises red flags. He needs to rebuild trust through openness or you'll assume the worst.
How do I move on after catching him cheating online?
Healing after infidelity takes time. Cut contact if needed, surround yourself with supportive friends/family, try new hobbies, and consider counseling to process the heartbreak. You will find happiness again!