Nuwber is an online people search and background check service that provides access to public records and personal information. With just a name, phone number, or address, Nuwber can pull up detailed reports on individuals.
In this comprehensive Nuwber review, we’ll cover everything you need to know, including features, reliability, pricing, and more. Read on for an in-depth look at how Nuwber works, whether it’s worth using, and tips for protecting your personal information.
Overview of Nuwber
Nuwber is owned and operated by Nuwber, Inc., based in Alexandria, Virginia. The site searches through public records and commercial sources to find background information on people.
Here are the key details about Nuwber:
- Launched in 2012
- Provides background checks, people searches, reverse phone lookups
- Uses public records and commercial databases
- Requires only a name, phone number, or address to search
- Offers free and paid memberships
- Has received mixed reviews, including BBB complaints
Nuwber states that it is not a Consumer Reporting Agency under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. This means it can’t legally be used for employment screening, tenant checks, credit checks, and similar regulated purposes.
Let’s take a look at the various search options and records available through Nuwber.
The Nuwber person search requires a first and last name, city, and state. It will then display possible matches, previous cities lived in, ages, phone numbers, and known relatives.
For a fee, you can access full background reports including:
- Current and past addresses
- Age and date of birth
- Relatives and family members
- Criminal records
- Bankruptcies, liens, judgments
- Marriages and divorces
- Estimated net worth and property values
- Social media profiles
Reverse Phone Lookup
By entering a phone number, you can see the current name associated with that number. Nuwber also provides previous owners of the number, carrier details, location history, and the option to report unwanted callers.
Looking up an address shows property details, maps, current and past residents, length of tenure, and resident profiles.
Background reports list all known occupants, relatives, property history, and neighborhood demographics.
State and Area Code Browse
You can browse Nuwber’s over 100 million records by state or phone area code. This lets you scroll through cities, addresses, and individual profiles without a specific search term.
Premium Background Checks
Nuwber offers full background check reports for a fee. These can include details like:
- Criminal history
- Bankruptcies and judgments
- Marriage and divorce details
- Estimated net worth and property values
- Social media accounts
- Current and past addresses
However, results aren’t guaranteed. The accuracy depends on the completeness of the underlying public records.
Is Nuwber Reliable and Accurate?
Nuwber relies entirely on public records and databases from third-party providers. As such, it’s only as accurate and up-to-date as its data sources.
There are a few factors to keep in mind regarding Nuwber’s reliability:
- Not manually verified – No human verification or fact-checking.
- Risk of outdated data – Public records can be out-of-date.
- Incomplete data – No single source contains full records.
- Limited detail – Many Nuwber reports lack in-depth information.
- Accuracy varies – Some sections are more precise than others.
Reviews are very mixed. While some users report finding useful information, others complain data is incorrect or lacks detail.
I would not rely solely on Nuwber for authoritative background checks without verifying details elsewhere. However, it can provide helpful clues and starting points for an investigation.
Ease of Use
Nuwber offers a straightforward user experience.
- Clean, minimal interface
- Instant initial search results
- Easy filtering and browsing
- Detailed reports viewable online
However, accessing full reports requires going through multiple steps:
- Legal usage agreement
- Intermediate loading pages
- Email and payment details
The process seems designed to push users to pay for premium access. Still, the core search functionality is easy enough for casual background checks.
Nuwber Customer Support
Nuwber provides customer service by phone and email:
- Phone: +1 (844) 912-1292
- Hours: 9am – 9pm EST
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Paid subscribers can get help with account-related issues. Support options could be expanded for a better user experience.
In the past, some users had difficulty canceling subscriptions. But cancellations can now be handled directly through the Nuwber account portal.
Nuwber Pricing and Plans
Nuwber offers paid plans to access full background check reports.
Membership options include:
- 3-day trial – $1
- 1 month – $27.99
- 3 months – $53.97
- 1 year – $169.99
The longer your membership, the lower the monthly cost. But all plans provide unlimited searches.
Nuwber also mentions a money-back guarantee but does not specify terms. Refunds are handled on a discretionary basis.
Is Nuwber Worth Using?
Here are the main pros of using Nuwber:
- Huge database of public records
- Aggregates data from many sources
- Helpful for initiating people searches
- Allows reverse phone lookups
- Reasonable pricing
Potential downsides to consider:
- Mixed accuracy and reliability
- Requires payments for full access
- Hard upsells to paid plans
- Limited customer support
Ultimately, Nuwber works well for informal background searches as a starting point. But I would verify any critical details found elsewhere before making life impacting decisions based solely on Nuwber reports.
For quick, casual searches with minimum personal data, the free tools are useful. However, for professional purposes, more rigorous background checks may be prudent.
Removing Your Personal Information from Nuwber
If you find your personal details on Nuwber, you can request their removal through the Opt Out page:
- Go to the Nuwber Opt Out page.
- Enter your first name, last name, phone number, and email address.
- Check your email for a confirmation link to complete the process.
However, Nuwber may republish your data if it remains available in public records. Fully removing yourself from people search sites is difficult, but this opt-out helps limit exposure.
Protecting Yourself Online
Here are a few tips to help protect your privacy and reputation online:
- Search yourself regularly – See what comes up about you online.
- Update information – Keep profiles, directories, etc. current.
- Monitor alerts – Set up Google Alerts on your name.
- Limit sharing – Be selective about sharing personal details publicly.
- Check settings – Adjust social media and listing permissions.
- Report issues – Contact sites to remove incorrect or harmful content.
- Consult experts – If needed, reputation management firms can help.
Staying vigilant is key to controlling your digital footprint in the information age.
While Nuwber offers an extensive database of public records, there are alternatives that may provide more robust tools and greater accuracy for background checks.
Some top Nuwber alternatives include:
- Truthfinder – Offers advanced people search, reverse phone lookups, and criminal records. Has over 1 billion public records. Provides dark web monitoring.
- BeenVerified – Features comprehensive background checks including criminal records, contact info, and public records. Known for in-depth reports.
- Instant Checkmate – Focuses on transparency with details on data sources. Unlimited monthly searches available.
- Intelius – Over 20 billion public records in database. Reverse phone lookups and address history reports available.
- Spokeo – Ideal for casual people searches and finding basic background details. Shows social media profiles.
When comparing to Nuwber, the top alternatives often provide more detailed reports, greater transparency, and advanced tools like dark web monitoring that Nuwber lacks. Learn more Nuwber alternatives here.
However, pricing and data sources vary across services. Evaluate your specific needs to find the right background check provider.
FAQs About Nuwber
Is Nuwber legitimate?
Yes, Nuwber is a legal service for accessing public records. However, it has faced some lawsuits over selling data without consent.
Does Nuwber provide criminal record checks?
Nuwber offers limited criminal record details with paid memberships. However, official government agencies or licensed services should be used for authoritative checks.
Can businesses use Nuwber for background screening?
No, Nuwber specifically states it cannot legally be used for tenant screening, employment checks, or other regulated purposes under the FCRA.
How does Nuwber get personal information?
Nuwber compiles data from public records, commercial databases, phone books, social networks, and other publicly available sources.
Is Nuwber safe to use?
Nuwber has standard security including HTTPS encryption. As with any website accessing your personal data, caution is advised.
Can Nuwber remove my information completely?
Nuwber can opt you out of their database, but cannot fully delete public records. Ongoing monitoring is needed to control exposure.
Are Nuwber background checks accurate?
Accuracy varies. Nuwber is only as accurate as its thousands of data sources. Vital details should be independently verified.
Does Nuwber offer customer support by phone?
Yes, Nuwber provides US-based phone and email support. But this is limited to billing questions for paid subscribers.
- Nuwber searches public records for background checks and people searches with just a name or phone number.
- Accuracy is questionable since Nuwber does not verify details manually. Public records can also be incomplete or outdated.
- The free tools provide a helpful starting point for casual searches. But paid memberships are limited without independent verification.
- Protect yourself by monitoring your online footprint, updating information regularly, and using reputable opt-out or reputation management services when needed.
- For professional purposes, more authoritative background checks may be needed than what Nuwber offers.
- Overall, Nuwber is reasonably priced for informal personal investigations, but results should not be considered definitive without further verification.
I attempted to expand this post into a comprehensive, consumer-focused guide on Nuwber. Please let me know if you would like me to modify or expand any sections further!