Parental control apps like kidslox are becoming increasingly popular among parents who want to monitor and manage their kids' screen time and online activities. In this comprehensive kidslox review, we'll examine if this parental control software is worth using in 2023.
With social media, inappropriate content, and constant connectivity, parenting in the digital age can be challenging. That's why finding the right parental control app is so important for modern families. But can kidslox provide the robust parental controls and ease of use that today's parents need? Read on for a complete evaluation.
What is kidslox and How Does it Work?
Kidslox is a parental control app available for both iOS and Android. It allows parents to monitor and manage their children's phone, tablet, and computer use. Some of the key features provided include:
- Content filtering – Block access to certain websites and apps
- Screen time limits – Set daily or weekly time restrictions
- Location tracking – See your child's location on a live map
- App blocking – Limit or block usage of specific apps
- Web filtering – Block inappropriate websites and adult content
- Activity reports – Review your child's app usage and web history
kidslox uses a combination of methods to control and monitor device usage. On Android, it uses advanced device admin features to block content and apps. On iOS, it uses Apple's built-in restrictions and Screen Time features.
Parents can download the kidslox app on their own device to access the dashboard and remotely configure all settings. Kidslox blocks access to apps and websites directly on the child's device so limits stay in place everywhere even without an internet connection.
Key Features and Benefits of kidslox
So what can this parental control software actually do for parents? Here are some of the important features kidslox provides:
Powerful Content Filtering
One of the main benefits of kidslox is its ability to filter inappropriate web content across both apps and browsers. Parents can block entire categories like gambling, alcohol, or adult content. You can also add custom URLs to make sure your child can't access specific websites.
Daily Screen Time Limits
To encourage healthy device usage, parents can set daily limits for overall screen time. kidslox allows you to customize schedules and change time limits on the weekend. You can even limit access to devices at certain times like bedtime.
Social Media and App Blocking
Beyond monitoring Chrome and Safari, kidslox allows parents to see and control the apps installed on their child's device. You can block social media apps like YouTube, TikTok, or Snapchat with just a tap. This prevents kids from simply switching to a different app when their time limit is up.
Using the location of the child's device, parents can see their location on a live map within the kidslox parental app. You can also set up geofences to get notified when your child leaves or enters specific locations.
If you need to see specifics on how your child is spending time on their device, kidslox provides detailed reports. You can see analytics on app usage, websites visited, and total screen time across each day and week.
What Are the Pros and Cons of kidslox?
Now that we've covered the key features of kidslox parental control software, let's evaluate some of the pros and cons compared to other options on the market.
- Works across iOS, Android, and Chromebook devices
- Real-time tracking and control even without internet
- Customizable filter settings for apps and web content
- Easy to set up daily schedules and time limits
- Detailed activity reporting provides great insights
- Affordable pricing compared to competing apps
- Missing some advanced features like SMS monitoring
- iOS restrictions more limited than Android functionality
- Must manage each child's device separately
- Free version lacks certain features like location tracking
- Cannot completely hide apps from kids on iOS
While kidslox lacks certain advanced features offered by competitors, its affordable pricing along with robust content filtering make it a compelling choice – especially for families with children across different devices.
How to Download and Install kidslox
To start using kidslox on your child's device, you first need to download the app and install it:
- Open the Google Play Store app on your child's Android device
- Search for “kidslox” and click install
- Once installed, open kidslox and grant the necessary device permissions
- Create a parent account and PIN code to manage settings
- Configure your restrictions and controls as desired
- Open the App Store on your child's iOS device
- Search for “kidslox” and tap Get
- After installing, open kidslox and enable Screen Time
- Create a parent account and setup a PIN code
- Adjust Apple's built-in Screen Time settings like app limits
- Enable Restrictions to block adult websites and content
- Use kidslox dashboard to further customize filters and settings
And that's it! Within minutes you can download kidslox and start restricting your child's access to apps, content and screen time. The setup process is quick and easy on both major mobile platforms.
kidslox Plans and Pricing
kidslox offers both a free version and premium subscription options. Here is an overview of the pricing and differences:
- Free Version – The basics like app blocking, filtering, schedules and time limits. Lacks reporting and location tracking.
- Year Plan – $4.29/month or $49.99 per year. Adds features like location tracking and detailed reporting. Ideal for short term monitoring.
- Lifetime Plan – $79.99/one-off payment. Best value if you will use kidslox long term. Unlocks all features.
One limitation is that the subscription only covers 10 devices. For large families with more children, you may need to pay for additional subscriptions.
How Does kidslox Compare to Other Parental Control Apps?
kidslox competes against a number of other parental control apps like Qustodio, Norton Family, and more. Here is how it stacks up against some top competitors:
- Qustodio – More expensive but includes call/text monitoring. However kidslox has better multi-platform support.
- Norton Family – Also lacks SMS monitoring but cheaper for unlimited devices. kidslox has more robust web filtering.
- Disney Circle – Hardware option only works at home. kidslox can filter anywhere with cellular data.
- Screentime – iOS only and no web filtering. kidslox is better cross platform solution.
Overall, kidslox stands out by providing a near full set of parental control features at a competitive price point. The combination of content filtering, time management, and location tracking covers what most parents need without getting too advanced.
Final Verdict – Is kidslox the Best Parental Control App?
So is kidslox parental control software worth using for your family? Here is our final verdict:
For parents who simply want to filter inappropriate content, limit screen time, and monitor location without breaking the bank, kidslox is hard to beat. It manages to provide robust parental controls across both Android and iOS for an affordable price.
The main drawbacks are lack of SMS/call logs on Android and slightly limited iOS functionality. However, kidslox has the essentials like web filtering, schedules, blocking apps, and location tracking. If you have kids with devices across different platforms, it makes managing controls much easier.
The free version is useful for trying kidslox out. But to unlock key features like location tracking and get the full experience, the paid subscription is recommended. With affordable one-year pricing, lack of a long term contract, and recurring discounts – kidslox provides great value.
While not perfect, kidslox impressed us with how much protection it can provide for less than competitors. For parents looking for an all-in-one solution to monitor their kids and manage digital habits, kidslox is a top choice in 2023.
Summary of Main Points:
- Kidslox allows parents to monitor screen time, filter content, and location on kids' iOS and Android devices
- Key features include powerful web filtering, app blocking, daily time limits, location tracking, and activity reports
- Benefits include easy cross-platform support, real-time control, and customizable filter settings
- Downsides are lack of SMS monitoring and limitations on iOS vs Android
- Affordable pricing starting at $9.99/month makes it accessible for most families
- kidslox compares well versus competitors like Qustodio and Norton Family
- Recommended for parents who want robust controls for an affordable price
Frequently Asked Questions About Kidslox
Here are answers to some common questions about Kidslox parental controls:
Does Kidslox work on iPads and Android tablets?
Yes, Kidslox works across smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices using iOS or Android.
What happens if my child deletes the Kidslox app?
Kidslox runs as a device administrator, so your child can't uninstall it without the parent passcode. You'll also get an alert if they try removing it.
Can I remotely lock my child's phone?
Yes, Kidslox allows you to fully lockdown a device instantly from the parental control app. You can also do temporary timeouts.
Is Kidslox compatible with iPhone and Android phones?
Kidslox has both iOS and Android versions of the parental control app so you can monitor kids across Apple and Google devices.
Does Kidslox monitor texts or social media messages?
No, Kidslox does not allow parents to view the actual content of texts, messages, or emails for privacy reasons. But you can control which apps are allowed.
Can I try Kidslox for free before paying?
Yes, Kidslox offers a free 3-day trial of their premium service. You can test all paid features before deciding if you want to subscribe.
Does it block content from the browser or YouTube app?
Yes, Kidslox filters inappropriate and mature web content across Chrome, Safari, Firefox and blocks videos/search in the YouTube app.
How many devices does one Kidslox plan cover?
The standard Kidslox plans cover one child's devices. You can pay a small fee per month to add additional children to monitor.
Can I view a report of my child's activities?
The Kidslox dashboard provides activity reports showing your child's app usage, sites visited, location history, and alerts over time.