Parental control software has become an increasingly popular way for parents to monitor their children’s online activities. Two of the most well-known options are Kidlogger and Spyrix. But how do you decide which one is right for your family?
This comprehensive guide examines Kidlogger and Spyrix side-by-side, comparing their key features, capabilities, platforms, pricing, and more. Read on for an in-depth look at the pros and cons of each program to help you make an informed decision.
Introduction to Kidlogger and Spyrix
Kidlogger and Spyrix are two leading software options that allow parents to track and control their kids’ device usage.
Kidlogger is designed specifically for parental monitoring and control. It offers features like keystroke logging, screenshots, website blocking, and location tracking. Kidlogger works on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
Spyrix is more full-featured remote monitoring software with advanced IT administration capabilities beyond just parental control. It captures keystrokes, websites visited, chats, and more. Spyrix is compatible with Windows and Mac.
While both can be useful for keeping kids safe online, Kidlogger focuses more on child protection while Spyrix has broader device monitoring abilities.
Key Features Comparison
Kidlogger and Spyrix have several overlapping capabilities, but also some distinct strengths:
- Kidlogger can record keystrokes, track website visits, capture screenshots, monitor chat apps, track location, etc.
- Spyrix also records keystrokes, tracks websites, takes screenshots, and monitors chats and social media.
- Spyrix offers more IT admin features like tracking file transfers, printing, program launches, and document tracking.
Blocking and Control
- Kidlogger allows blocking websites, keywords, and apps. Parents can also set time restrictions.
- Spyrix has web and keyword blocking but fewer restrictions beyond that.
- Kidlogger sends email alerts and summaries. Parents access reports through the web dashboard.
- Spyrix allows emailing of reports and access through its web panel. More limited report formatting.
- Kidlogger works on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
- Spyrix is Windows and Mac only.
Stealth and Security
- Both run in stealth mode and are hidden from the user.
- Kidlogger and Spyrix encrypt data and take measures to avoid detection.
- Kidlogger starts at $8/month for premium features.
- Spyrix pricing starts at $25/month for robust monitoring.
For parents specifically concerned with tracking their kids and controlling their online environment, Kidlogger has the edge. Spyrix provides greater breadth of IT tools for full device monitoring beyond just child safety.
Monitoring and Reporting Capabilities
One of the core functions of Kidlogger and Spyrix is providing monitoring information to parents. Here is an overview of how they work:
With Kidlogger, parents first create an online account. The Kidlogger app or software is then installed on the child’s device.
Once activated, Kidlogger runs silently in the background and records activities including:
- Keystrokes typed
- Websites visited
- Chat messages (WhatsApp, Messenger, etc)
- Location data
- Search terms
Information is encrypted and sent to Kidlogger’s servers. Parents can access all monitoring data through the online dashboard from any web browser.
Kidlogger also sends scheduled activity reports by email. This gives parents a summary of their child’s device usage without needing to log into the account.
Spyrix functions similarly – it is installed locally on a device and then communicates activity logs back to the online Spyrix account.
Spyrix captures information like:
- Keylogger data
- Website activity
- Chats and messages
- Program and file usage
- Printed documents
Activity logs can be viewed through the Spyrix browser-based dashboard. Email report summaries are also available on a schedule.
Spyrix provides robust IT-level monitoring with extensive device usage data. Kidlogger focuses specifically on parental concerns like inappropriate content and conversations.
One important consideration is what devices the software works on.
Kidlogger has apps for:
- iPhone and iPad
- Android phones and tablets
It can monitor activity across these platforms, making it flexible for parents with kids on different devices.
Spyrix is currently only available for:
Without iOS or Android support, Spyrix has limited utility for mobile phone tracking. Kidlogger is better suited for monitoring multiple device types a child may use.
Stealth and Security
For both Kidlogger and Spyrix, staying hidden and maintaining security is critical:
- The software runs silently in the background without any visible interface.
- Activity tracking runs stealthily without alerting the user.
- Encryption is used to protect recorded data during transfer.
- No obvious app icons or files are left on the device.
This allows parents to maintain secret monitoring without the child knowing. However, legality and ethics should always be considered carefully as well.
Pricing and Plans
Kidlogger and Spyrix both offer free limited trials and paid subscription plans:
- Free version with basic features
- Premium plan – $7.95/month
- Ultimate plan – $11.95/month with full capabilities
The premium plan unlocks all core parental control features. The ultimate plan adds extras like unlimited device connections.
- Free trial option with keyword alerts
- Personal plan – $25/month
- Family plan – $40/month for 5 devices
For full monitoring features, a paid Spyrix plan is required. The family plan allows monitoring across multiple computers.
Kidlogger provides its parental control focus at a lower entry price point. Spyrix offers robust IT-level tracking for a higher monthly cost.
Ease of Use
Both pieces of software are designed to be set up and used easily:
- Create Kidlogger account online
- Download installer to child’s device
- Takes minutes to activate monitoring
- Dashboard is accessible from any web browser
- Make Spyrix account and get installer
- Deploy monitoring agent to target computer
- Logs available instantly from online dashboard
- Email reports scheduled as needed
For basic tracking, getting started is straightforward with both solutions. Kidlogger provides guided setup tutorials while Spyrix has extensive documentation.
Kidlogger and Spyrix offer customer support through several channels:
- Knowledgebase articles – installation guides, how-tos, troubleshooting tips
- Email support – contact support staff with questions
- Live chat – real-time chat with a support rep
- Phone support – call the company’s support line
- Ticketing system – submit support tickets within your account
Both platforms aim to provide multiple options for assistance when needed. Resources like knowledgebases, FAQs, and video tutorials are available as well.
Ethical and Legal Considerations
While parental monitoring software can provide peace of mind, it also raises ethical and legal concerns:
- Monitoring should only be done with the child’s knowledge to foster trust.
- Private communications and activity may still be accessed without consent.
- Laws differ on recording computer activity, especially passwords and messages.
Parents should carefully research legality based on their local laws and only use monitoring ethically. Anything done should aim to protect children while respecting privacy and building digital responsibility.
For comprehensive parental control focus: Kidlogger
For advanced IT-level computer monitoring: Spyrix
For cross-platform support: Kidlogger
For budget-friendly entry price: Kidlogger
For complete device usage visibility: Spyrix
For stealthy background tracking: Both equal
Review your specific priorities and needs, then choose the software that best fits your family’s situation. Proceed cautiously keeping legal and ethical concerns in mind.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Kidlogger or Spyrix better for parental control?
For most parents, Kidlogger is the better choice focused specifically on parental control versus the broader device monitoring Spyrix offers. Kidlogger provides all the key features needed for monitoring children’s activities, location, chats, etc. in one integrated solution.
Does Kidlogger work on iPhone and Android?
Yes, Kidlogger has monitoring apps available for both iOS and Android. This allows parents to track activity on mobile devices along with Windows and Mac computers.
Can Spyrix monitor social media and messages?
Spyrix does capture chats and messages from platforms like WhatsApp, Facebook, Snapchat, and more. However, its social media tracking is more limited compared to solutions specifically designed for parental control.
Is it legal to use Kidlogger or Spyrix to monitor my kids?
You should carefully research local laws, as recording computer activities like keystrokes may require consent depending on your jurisdiction. Only use ethically with transparency. Consider child age and what information is necessary to ensure their safety vs. protecting privacy.
How much does Kidlogger cost?
Kidlogger starts with a free plan then offers premium for $7.95/month and ultimate for $11.95/month. The premium plan enables its core parental control features for most families’ needs.
Can Spyrix block websites and apps?
Spyrix has basic website and keyword blocking capabilities, but is more focused on monitoring versus restrictions. Solutions like Kidlogger have more robust, configurable blocking and time limit options.
What happens if my child discovers the monitoring software?
Both Kidlogger and Spyrix have options to silently uninstall themselves remotely if discovered. However, being transparent about monitoring up front is recommended rather than trying to maintain secrecy.
Is there a free trial I can try first?
Yes, both Kidlogger and Spyrix offer free trials so you can evaluate them before committing to a paid plan. These trials allow testing basic features, but advanced monitoring requires a paid subscription.
How long is the data stored from monitoring?
For Kidlogger, data is available for viewing in the dashboard for up to 30 days. Spyrix stores a rolling 30 days of logs as well. Older data is automatically deleted from their servers. Local backups can be downloaded.
Assess your priorities, platform needs, budget, and comfort level with monitoring to decide which solution best fits your family’s requirements. Take time to thoroughly understand these parental control software options along with any legal and ethical concerns before moving forward.
With the right approach, tools like Kidlogger and Spyrix can give parents greater confidence their kids are safely and responsibly using technology. Matching the software to your specific situation helps ensure you make the best choice.