Have you ever wondered just how much of your personal information is floating around on the internet? From your home address and phone number to your purchasing history and browsing habits, data brokers are constantly gathering intel on you.
This data gets aggregated, analyzed, and sold to advertisers and corporations so they can target you more effectively. It’s an invasion of privacy, and can even lead to identity theft if it falls into the wrong hands.
Luckily, Surfshark’s data removal tool Incogni helps you take back control of your information. Incogni automatically contacts data brokers on your behalf and requests the removal of your personal data from their databases.
In this comprehensive Incogni review, we’ll cover everything you need to know.
By the end, you’ll understand how Incogni helps enforce your digital privacy so you can decide if it’s right for you. Let’s dive in!
What is Incogni and How Does it Work?
Incogni is an online privacy service created by Surfshark, the well-known VPN provider. It acts as your personal assistant to remove your private data from people search sites and data broker databases.
Here’s how Incogni works in 3 simple steps:
- You sign up and provide some basic personal details like your name and address. This gives Incogni what it needs to accurately identify your records across the web.
- Incogni checks 180+ data brokers to see if they have your data. For people search sites, it looks to see if your info is present before requesting removal. For other brokers, it uses an algorithm to predict if they likely have your details on file.
- Incogni sends official GDPR and CCPA data removal requests on your behalf. It tracks responses and repeatedly contacts brokers until confirmation that your data no longer exists in their systems.
This automated process saves you the hundreds of hours it would take to manage communications and verify data removal from each broker individually.
Plus, Incogni provides weekly status updates so you can monitor progress on purging your personal details from the internet.
Why Do You Need a Service Like Incogni?
You may be wondering why you need Incogni when you could request data removal on your own. There are two key reasons:
- It saves an enormous amount of time and effort. There are over 4,000 data brokers and people search sites out there. Doing it yourself means contacting each one individually, filling out forms, verifying your identity repeatedly, and following up to confirm removal.
- Incogni is built for this. It has dedicated tools, inside knowledge on brokers’ processes, and leverages legislation like GDPR to force compliance. You get the benefits of its expertise.
Essentially, Incogni simplifies and automated a task that would be extremely tedious and challenging for an individual to handle on their own.
Key Features and Services of Incogni
Now that you know the basics of what Incogni does, let’s explore some of its key features and services:
Sends Automated Data Removal Requests
The core value Incogni provides is automation. Instead of you having to contact hundreds of brokers and sites manually, Incogni handles the data removal process for you.
It uses an always-updating database of major data brokers to pinpoint companies that likely have your information. Incogni then sends official requests on your behalf, citing GDPR, CCPA, and other privacy laws requiring them to comply.
This saves you countless hours you’d otherwise spend filling out forms, verifying your identity, and following up again and again.
Tracks and Reports on Data Removal Progress
Wondering what’s happening behind the scenes once Incogni starts contacting brokers? Their dashboard lets you monitor the status of every data removal request.
You can view which requests have been completed, which are in progress, and which have been rejected. Incogni also provides weekly email updates summing up the latest progress.
This transparency and reliable tracking of responses from brokers gives you assurance that your data is being wiped from their systems.
Focuses on Repeated Removal
Getting your personal data deleted once isn’t enough when new data is constantly being collected about you. That’s why Incogni sends recurring removal requests.
By continually sweeping for and deleting your data, Incogni ensures you remain delisted from broker databases over the long-term – not just temporarily. This is key for maintaining your privacy.
Leverages Powerful Privacy Legislation
Incogni doesn’t just ask nicely for your data to be removed. It leverages powerful privacy laws like GDPR and CCPA to force brokers to comply.
These regulations include serious fines for non-compliance. Knowing Incogni is acting on your behalf using these laws gives you confidence in the removal process.
Covers 180+ Data Brokers
Incogni’s ever-growing database contains over 180 data brokers and people search sites known for collecting personal information.
These include major brokers in industries like marketing, finance, insurance, background checks, and more. The large broker database means more of your data can be identified and removed.
Adds New Data Brokers Regularly
Here’s a key fact about Incogni – its broker database is always expanding. Incogni adds new brokers regularly based on the latest landscape research.
This ensures that as more of your data appears in new places, Incogni evolves to locate and purge it for you. The longer you’re a subscriber, the more of your data Incogni can remove.
Incogni focuses its services on the US, UK, Canada, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and the EU. So no matter where you’re located in these regions, you can benefit from Incogni’s data removal assistance.
It covers brokers specific to each locale and leverages localized privacy laws like GDPR for European residents.
How to Use Incogni to Delete Your Data in 4 Steps
If you’re ready to delete your personal details from data brokers, here is the quick 4-step process to get started with Incogni:
1. Create an Incogni Account
First, you need to create a free Incogni account by providing your email address and setting a password. Verifying your email will activate your account.
2. Submit Your Personal Details
Next, Incogni will request personal details like your full name, address, phone number, and date of birth.
This allows Incogni to accurately match and delete records associated with you across broker databases.
3. Sign the Authorization Form
You’ll need to electronically sign an authorization form called a Limited Power of Attorney. This grants Incogni the legal authority to send removal requests on your behalf.
4. Select a Subscription Plan
Finally, pick either a monthly or annual subscription plan. The annual plan saves you 50% compared to paying monthly.
Once your account is set up, Incogni gets to work contacting data brokers about removing your information! It’s as simple as that.
Before entrusting any company with your personal data, it’s wise to understand their privacy practices. Here is how Incogni approaches privacy and security:
- Incogni collects minimal personal information – only what’s needed to accurately identify your records, like your name, address, phone number, and email.
- Your data is not sold or shared – unlike brokers, Incogni does not monetize or share your information.
- Secure encrypted data transmission – your personal details are encrypted both in transit and at rest.
- Complies with privacy laws – Incogni is based in the privacy-friendly jurisdiction of the British Virgin Islands.
- Uses temporary cookies – Incogni uses temporary first-party analytic and marketing cookies, a standard practice for websites.
- Customer support over email – to contact Incogni’s support team, you can reach out to them securely via email.
Overall, Incogni makes ethical privacy a priority in how it handles your information. Your data is in good hands.
Incogni Pricing and Discounts
Incogni offers simple and relatively affordable pricing. There are no multiple tier plans to decipher.
Instead, you can choose between two straightforward options:
- Monthly plan – $12.99 per month
- Annual plan – $6.49 per month (billed as $77.88 annually)
The annual plan nets you a 50% discount by paying for a full year up front. For less than $80 annually, you can automate data removal from brokers and people search sites.
Incogni also occasionally offers deals like 50% off your first year. And if you’re unsatisfied for any reason, you can cancel within 30 days for a full refund.
If you want the most bang for your buck, paying annually is the way to go. Just remember to set a renewal reminder if you don’t want to auto-renew each year.
Incogni Pros and Cons
To help summarize, here is an overview of Incogni’s key advantages and disadvantages:
- Removes your private data from 180+ brokers and people search sites
- Automates data deletion process to save you hundreds of hours
- Provides status updates and tracking of removal requests
- Leverages GDPR and CCPA privacy laws for compliance
- Offers simple pricing starting at $6.49/month paid annually
- Adds new data brokers to its database regularly
- No phone support, email only
- Does not prevent future data collection
- Cannot confirm what exact data brokers have on you
- Requires International payment methods
- Only available in certain countries currently
The main downsides are the inability to verify what data needs deleting and limited live support options. But weighing the pros and cons, Incogni delivers excellent value through automation.
5 Key Facts About Data Brokers You Should Know
Wondering what all the fuss over data brokers is about? Here are 5 key facts to know:
- There are over 4,000 data brokers in the US buying and selling consumer data.
- The data broker industry generates over $200 billion in revenue annually in the US.
- Brokers acquire your information from an array of sources including public records, web browsing history, social media posts, store loyalty programs, surveys, and more.
- They build detailed digital profiles about you to sell, including your contact info, demographic data, purchasing habits, location history, interests, and household makeup.
- By using privacy tools like Incogni, you can reduce data collection from brokers and minimize unwanted targeting.
When weighing Incogni against competitors, you may want to compare it to similar data removal services like OneRep and DeleteMe. This guide from FoneSpy does an in-depth Incogni vs OneRep comparison covering the key differences in features, pricing, and more.
They also have another useful article directly comparing DeleteMe vs Incogni. It analyzes how the two stack up on data broker coverage, removal processes, privacy policies and other factors. Definitely worth checking out.
Frequently Asked Questions About Incogni
Here are answers to some of the most common questions about Incogni:
Does Incogni permanently delete your data?
Incogni can request removal of data, but cannot guarantee permanent deletion. However, it does re-check brokers and re-send removal requests periodically to stay on top of it.
What personal information does Incogni collect?
Incogni only collects basic details like your name, address, email, and phone number needed to locate your records for removal.
Is there a free version of Incogni?
No free version is available. However, you can try Incogni risk-free for 30 days and get a full refund if you cancel during that period.
How long does the Incogni data removal process take?
It can take 30-45 days for Incogni to receive and verify responses from all brokers. The dashboard shows real-time status so you can track progress.
Does Incogni offer live chat support?
No, they don’t have live chat. You can get support via email by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does Incogni verify data removal?
For people search sites, it checks that your data no longer appears in search results. For other brokers, it relies on their official written confirmation.
Is Incogni worth the money?
For those concerned about their privacy, Incogni provides excellent value by automating time-consuming data removal tasks. But evaluate your specific needs.
Take Control of Your Data with Incogni
After analyzing Incogni closely, we can confidently recommend it for enforcing your digital privacy. Incogni dramatically simplifies the process of getting your personal details removed from hundreds of data brokers.
It eliminates the need to manually handle everything yourself. With Incogni, you get to outsource the tedious parts – verifying identity, filling out forms, following up repeatedly, keeping records, etc.
Incogni handles all of that behind the scenes and provides status updates on its progress. Ultimately, it saves you significant time and stress.
If you’re worried about the amount of personal information floating around out there – especially creepier data like browsing history and purchase profiles – Incogni is a handy privacy assistant.
While no service can promise perfection, Incogni delivers excellent value through automation. You can try Incogni risk-free today and decide if it meets your needs!