Want to learn how to block adult websites and inappropriate content on Google Chrome? With the right tools and settings, you can restrict access to pornography, gambling, violence and other explicit material on Chrome.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll show you different ways to block adult content on Google Chrome, both on desktop and mobile. Whether you’re a parent looking to protect your kids or want to cut down on distractions, these tips will help you filter out unwanted sites.
Why Block Adult Content on Google Chrome?
There are a few key reasons you may want to block adult websites and content on Chrome:
- Parental controls – If you have children using your devices, you likely want to restrict their access to pornography, violence, gambling and other adult material. Chrome's blocking features allow you to filter content and set limits.
- Productivity – Websites with adult content can be highly distracting in work and school settings. Blocking these sites can help you and others focus on tasks.
- Personal/ethical reasons – Some individuals want to restrict adult content for personal values or mental health. Chrome's tools make limiting access straightforward.
- Public/shared devices – For libraries, schools and other organizations with public computers, blocking adult sites helps create a safe browsing environment.
How to Block Adult Websites on Google Chrome on Desktop
There are built-in ways to block inappropriate, adult and explicit websites on Chrome for desktop. Here are a few methods:
Use Parental Control Options
Chrome has basic parental control settings that let you block some adult sites and set time limits for users. To use:
- Open Google Chrome on your desktop.
- Click the three vertical dots in the top right to open Settings.
- Select “Parental controls” and toggle it on.
- Under “Block inappropriate sites”, choose the level you want: “Block only explicit sites” or “Try to block explicit sites.”
This will restrict access to many pornography, gambling and explicit sites. But it has limitations, so supplement with extensions.
Install a Content Filter Extension
To block more websites and content, add a filtering extension to Chrome. Some top options:
- uBlock Origin – Blocks ads and trackers. Can also block specific sites.
- AdBlock – Blocks ads. Paid version blocks malware, social media and adult content.
- Blocksi – Blocks groups of sites by category (social, gambling, porn, etc). Free and paid tiers.
To add an extension:
- Open the Chrome Web Store
- Search for the extension
- Click “Add to Chrome” to install
- Customize the extension's filter settings
Limit Sites Through Google Family Link
If you manage a child’s Google account with Family Link, you can restrict access to specific sites and content across their devices. To block sites:
- Sign in to Family Link as the parent
- Select your child
- Under “Content restrictions”, choose “Limit adult websites”
- Select “Allowed websites only” to only permit sites you've whitelisted
Use Chrome Enterprise to Block Sites
Chrome Enterprise allows admins to control Chrome policies and settings on managed business devices. You can blacklist websites through the admin console. This is best for organizations.
How to Block Inappropriate Content and Websites on Mobile Chrome
Want to limit adult content on your phone or tablet? Here are ways to block websites on mobile Chrome for Android:
Enable Chrome's Safe Browsing Filter
Chrome's Safe Browsing mode blocks dangerous and inappropriate sites. To turn it on:
- Open the Chrome app on your Android device
- Tap the three dots to access Settings
- Select “Privacy and security”
- Toggle on “Use Safe Browsing”
This scans sites for threats and blocks known risks. But it doesn't catch all inappropriate content.
Use Parental Control Apps
On Android, apps like Google Family Link and Norton Family allow parents to monitor activity and restrict access to adult sites across kids' devices. Features include:
- Site blocking by category
- Time limits and schedules
- Location tracking
- App blocking
Install one on your child's device and your own to enable filters.
Limit Through Wireless Network
If you manage your WiFi network, you can block adult websites for devices connected to it. Use your router's content filtering settings or apps like Netgear Smart Parental Controls.
This blocks content across any device on the network. But it doesn't apply when on cellular data.
Use DNS Filtering Services
DNS filtering services like CleanBrowsing and OpenDNS Home let you filter adult content across your home network. You change your DNS server settings to point to the service's filtering servers.
This blocks known adult domains network-wide. But it can slow your connection down.
How to Block Porn on Chrome Using Chrome Extensions
Chrome extensions provide the most customizable option for blocking pornography, adult content and distracting sites. Here are some top anti-porn extensions:
- Blocksi – Blocks porn along with other categories. Free version available.
- X3Watch – Specifically blocks porn and nudity. Provides accountability reporting.
- Porn Blocker – Blocks 20+ adult site categories. Auto-blocks new sites.
- Add extension to Chrome from the Web Store
- Open the extension's control panel
- Select categories or sites to block
- Customize other settings like password protecting
Using two different extensions ensures maximum coverage as filters vary. Enable in incognito mode for full effect.
How to Hide Explicit Content in Google Search Results
You can also filter adult content directly in Google Search results on Chrome using SafeSearch:
- Go to search settings at google.com/preferences
- Under “SafeSearch filters,” select “Strict” to hide explicit text, images and videos
- Save changes
Now searches on Google will filter more mature content. But this doesn't block visiting specific sites.
Restrict Content on Chrome Using a Separate Account
Another approach is to set up a restricted Chrome user account for a child or other person.
- Open chrome://settings/people and click “Add person“
- Choose limited account type without payment methods
- Use parental controls and extensions to limit available sites and content
This creates a separate Chrome environment with fewer site access permissions.
FAQs about Blocking Sites on Chrome
Some common questions about restricting adult content on Google Chrome:
Does blocking sites on Chrome slow it down?
Extensions like ad blockers can slightly slow page load speeds. But content filters themselves don’t have a major impact on Chrome performance in most cases.
Will incognito mode get around content filters?
Incognito browsing bypasses extensions. So enable the filters in incognito through the extension's settings for full coverage.
Do Chrome's filters also work on mobile?
Some extensions work across desktop and Android. But builtin controls like Family Link only apply to the desktop browser. Use mobile parental control apps instead.
What’s better: DNS filtering or extensions?
Extensions give you more customization for blocking specific sites. DNS filtering is simpler to set up but less customizable. Using both provides layered protection.
Key Takeaways on Blocking Adult Content on Chrome
Protecting yourself and your family from inappropriate, adult and explicit content is straightforward with Google Chrome's built-in tools and customizable extensions. Here are the key techniques:
- Use Chrome’s parental control settings to block some adult sites
- Install ad and content blocking extensions like uBlock Origin
- Manage site access through Family Link for children’s accounts
- Employ Chrome Enterprise policies if managing an organization’s devices
- Enable Chrome’s Safe Browsing filter on mobile to catch high risk sites
- Use parental control mobile apps to filter inappropriate content
- Block sites through your home WiFi router or with DNS services
- Add anti-porn extensions specifically designed to hide pornography
- Filter search engine results using Google SafeSearch
- Create restricted Chrome user accounts to limit permissions
With the strategies in this guide, you can block adult websites and distractions on desktop and mobile. Protect your family and get peace of mind with Chrome's filtering options.