With data breaches and privacy concerns on the rise, more people are looking for ways to protect their personal information online. DeleteMe is a popular online privacy service, but there are plenty of alternatives worth considering in 2024.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the top DeleteMe competitors, tips for choosing the right service, frequently asked questions, and key takeaways to help you safeguard your data.
An Introduction to DeleteMe and Online Privacy Protection
DeleteMe is a subscription service that helps remove your personal information from public data broker sites. Data brokers collect and sell consumer data, often without consent, which can lead to security issues like identity theft.
DeleteMe systematically searches through hundreds of these sites to find and delete your records. This can give you more control over your digital footprint.
However, DeleteMe isn’t the only player in this market. There are a growing number of companies offering similar online privacy protection services.
The right alternative for you depends on your specific needs and budget. The good news is that you have options when it comes to managing your online presence.
Top DeleteMe Alternatives for 2024
Here are some of the top contenders in 2024 if you’re looking for an alternative to DeleteMe:
Incogni is a highly rated privacy management platform. Key features include:
- Comprehensive data removal request system
- Monitoring of your personal info across the web
- Dark web monitoring for compromised credentials
- Identity theft protection tools like SSN tracing
- Encrypted and secured interface
Incogni starts at $99 per year for individual plans. It offers robust features for protecting your online privacy beyond just removal requests.
OneRep focuses specifically on getting your info deleted from data broker sites. It searches over 150 data brokers and sends opt-out requests on your behalf.
The platform is automated to find and scrub your info quickly. You also get monthly removal reports. Pricing starts at $8 per month billed yearly.
Kanary is a privacy management tool that scans thousands of sites for your personal data. It has automated data deletion workflows and assigns risk levels to found records based on source site.
Plans start at $9.99 per month. Kanary also provides monitoring to detect if removed info ever pops back up online.
4. LexisNexis Data Privacy
LexisNexis offers both consumer-facing and business privacy services. For consumers, you can monitor your presence across public records, subscribe to alerts, and submit data deletion requests.
Packages start at $4.95 per month. The benefit of LexisNexis is leveraging their access to otherwise hard-to-find public records containing personal info.
For advanced privacy protection, Oxylabs offers premium proxy tools and data removal services. With residential proxies, you can mask your IP address and activity across the web.
Oxylabs caters more to tech-savvy users with custom pricing plans. The proxies and automation make them a DeleteMe alternative with robust features beyond basic removal tools.
How to Choose the Best DeleteMe Alternative
With this overview of top competitors, how do you choose the right alternative for your needs? Here are a few key factors to consider:
- Budget – Compare monthly or yearly pricing plans. Look for a service that provides solid value without breaking the bank.
- Features – Some focus solely on data removal while others provide monitoring and identity protection. Choose features that match your goals.
- Supported Data Types – Services vary in the public records and sites they search. Make sure your data types (email, phone, SSN) are covered.
- Automation – For convenience, look for automated workflows to find and remove data versus manual submission-based removal.
- Customer Support – Having quality phone, email, and chat support can be useful during onboarding and ongoing use.
- User Reviews – Third party sites like TrustPilot contain helpful reviews from real verified customers. Let others’ experiences guide your decision.
Take the time to evaluate your specific situation and needs first. This will make it much easier to select the right DeleteMe alternative to safeguard your privacy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Deciding on an online privacy service comes with plenty of questions for first-time users. Here are answers to some of the most common ones:
How does the removal process work?
Most services use automated systems to scan data broker sites and identify instances of your personal info being listed. The service then typically submits opt-out requests on your behalf to have this data deleted.
What types of personal info can they remove?
Typical data types include names, email addresses, phone numbers, home addresses, ages, employment info, criminal records, and more. The specific sources vary by service.
How long does it take to get my data removed?
Removal times vary, but automated systems can submit deletion requests rapidly to each site where your data appears. However, it’s up to those sites to process the removals per their internal policies, which can take weeks or longer in some cases.
What happens if my info reappears online in the future?
Reputable services will continually scan for your data and submit new removal requests as needed. Many also offer monitoring tools to detect if removed data ever pops back up.
Can I remove my info from the internet forever?
Unfortunately, no service can guarantee full and permanent removal of your online presence across the internet. But using a service greatly reduces the availability of your personal data to casual or malicious lookups.
What are the risks of not removing my data?
Having your personal info readily available online heightens risks of fraud, phishing attacks, identity theft, cyberstalking, and other crimes. It also erodes your privacy and control over how others can access your data.
Is using a delete service better than opting out myself?
Doing it yourself can be extremely time consuming, while services have already mapped out the complex opt-out processes for hundreds of data broker sites. Their automation and experience save you effort.
This FAQ covers the most common questions around using a DeleteMe alternative. Reach out to any provider’s customer support for additional service-specific questions.
To wrap up this guide on finding the best DeleteMe alternative, here are a few key takeaways:
- DeleteMe is a popular data removal service, but expanding consumer choice means more alternatives in 2024 like Incogni, OneRep, and Kanary.
- Look at factors like pricing, specific features, automation, customer support, and user reviews when evaluating alternatives.
- Services can rapidly submit bulk opt-out requests to reduce your presence on public data broker sites and reclaim online privacy.
- No service offers permanent data deletion or guaranteed removal, but can significantly reduce your digital footprint and security risks.
- Using an automated privacy management service saves significant time and effort versus trying to remove your data manually.
- Monitor key sites like TrustPilot for real user reviews as they provide unbiased insight into a service’s quality and effectiveness.
- Take proactive measures to reduce your online exposure, but utilize a removal service as an additional layer of protection for your data privacy and security.
The availability of DeleteMe and similar privacy tools empowers consumers to reclaim control of their personal information. Do your research to find the right alternative that matches your budget and protection needs in the new year.