Performing a background check on someone can give you peace of mind and valuable insight before entering into any type of relationship, be it personal, professional, or romantic. With so much information available online, CheckPeople aims to simplify the process by searching through billions of public records and providing a comprehensive report.
This in-depth CheckPeople review covers everything you need to know, from how it works to pricing, capabilities, legality, and more. Read on for tips on using background checks wisely and safely.
What is CheckPeople?
Founded over 20 years ago in Palo Alto, California, CheckPeople is an online background check service designed to be affordable, intuitive and easy to use.
Their mission is to provide as much information as possible to help you make well-informed decisions about the people in your life. The company searches through vast arrays of public records, including:
- Criminal records
- Arrest records
- Sexual offender registries
- Phone book listings
- Marriage and divorce records
- Court documents
- Bankruptcy filings
- Much more
CheckPeople also offers instant “deep web” searches using proprietary algorithms to uncover hidden social media accounts, websites, blogs, and online posts that may have been lost or forgotten over time.
The company compiles all of this data into a single, comprehensive report on the individual you are researching.
Simple User Interface
The CheckPeople website has an intuitive interface that is easy to navigate. There’s no need for tutorials or instructions.
You can quickly search for a name, access reports, and manage your account. The reports also showcase the information in a clean, organized way.
With a monthly CheckPeople subscription, you get unlimited searches. There are no caps or limits on how many reports you can run.
This is extremely useful if you need to research multiple people, like when screening potential roommates or dates.
Reverse Phone Lookup
The reverse phone lookup allows you to identify unknown callers that may be harassing or spamming you.
Just enter the phone number, and CheckPeople will provide details on the caller if available. You can then run a full background check on them.
CheckPeople searches through criminal records and legal documents to uncover any arrests, convictions, bankruptcies, or court cases.
This includes federal, state, county, and municipal databases. The criminal check can give you insight into someone’s past.
Sex Offender Checks
Using national sex offender registries, CheckPeople will notify you if the person shows up in any databases.
You can also see if any registered offenders live nearby the person’s current address, which is vital for protecting children.
Deep Web Searches
CheckPeople uses special algorithms to scour the depths of the internet for any hidden or deleted accounts, posts, images, or other digital footprints tied to a person.
This can reveal social media profiles and content that search engines can’t find. It provides a more complete picture.
CheckPeople offers a few different pricing options:
- 5-Day Trial: $1 for 5 days of unlimited searches. Does not auto-renew.
- Single Report: $29.95 per report
- 1 Month: $27.65/month for unlimited reports
- 2 Months: $22.97/month (Savvy User Plan)
- 6 Months: $17.16/month (Power User Plan)
The single report is useful if you only need to research one individual. But the subscription plans offer way more value, letting you run as many searches as needed.
While CheckPeople doesn’t have a long-term annual plan, the 6 month option at $17.16 per month is reasonably priced. There are no contracts so you can cancel anytime.
How To Use CheckPeople
- Visit the CheckPeople website and click “Start Your Search”
- Enter the first and last name along with the city and state if known
- Review the list of results and identify the correct person
- Select a report such as the background check or criminal record search
- Provide payment details to access full reports
- View the comprehensive report with all details compiled in one place
Make sure to have as much identifying information as possible to find the right person. If the name is common, enter details like age, relatives, locations, etc.
The search process is intuitive and CheckPeople’s database is vast, so you should find what you need.
What Does CheckPeople Include in the Report?
The amount of information you get depends on the type of report, but CheckPeople searches hundreds of databases and sources to compile their dossier.
Here are some of the details typically included:
- Full legal name
- Previous addresses
- Phone numbers
- Email addresses
- Aliases or other legal names
- Relatives and family members
- Arrest records
- Felonies or misdemeanors
- Traffic violations
- Any registered sex offender status
- Tax liens
- Payday loans
- Civil judgments
- Divorce records
- Small claims cases
- Restraining orders
- Probate records
- Social media accounts
- Dating site profiles
- Previous websites
- Forum posts
- Deleted accounts/posts
CheckPeople Report Accuracy
With a vast database of billions of public records, CheckPeople strives to provide accurate and up-to-date information. However, no background check service is 100% error-free.
- Marriage and divorce records may have gaps, as some states don’t make this info public.
- Criminal databases are not always complete, especially for minor infractions.
- Names, addresses, and ages can sometimes be misreported.
- Not all websites or social media accounts may be discovered.
While imperfect, CheckPeople still delivers extensive details from reliable sources. But any discrepancies noted should be further investigated through official channels.
CheckPeople Membership Cancellation
CheckPeople states that memberships can be canceled at any time by calling their toll-free number. However, some customers have reported long wait times.
To avoid cancellation issues:
- Mark your calendar ahead of renewal to call in advance.
- Call during non-peak hours like early morning.
- Be prepared to wait 10-20 minutes to speak with someone.
- Get a cancellation confirmation number.
- Check your email for confirmation and stop any recurring billing.
While not ideal, with some patience you can cancel CheckPeople smoothly. Alternatively, you can just let the membership lapse at the end of your term.
CheckPeople Support Resources
CheckPeople provides a few ways to get help:
24/7 Phone Number
Call anytime to ask questions or get support. Wait times may vary.
Email Contact Form
Fill out the online contact form and CheckPeople will respond via email. Allow 48 hours.
Answers basic questions about account setup, payments, searching, and more.
Terms of Service
While customer service options are limited, between the FAQ, terms, email contact, and phone support, you should be able to get any major issues resolved.
Is CheckPeople Legit and Secure?
CheckPeople is a legitimate background check service that searches real public data sources. They take security seriously and have safeguards in place to protect personal information.
Here are some key things to note:
- Secure checkout – Payments are processed on a secure, encrypted connection.
- User awareness – CheckPeople cannot control public information or how it is used after accessed. Users must abide by the FCRA.
- Safety disclaimers – You assume full responsibility for safely and legally using reports.
While no service can guarantee safety or security, CheckPeople does take the proper precautions. Be an informed consumer and use good judgment when conducting background checks.
CheckPeople Review: Pros and Cons
- Unlimited monthly searches
- Low pricing for subscription plans
- Comprehensive reports
- Searches deep web sources
- Easy to perform checks
- Basic criminal record searches
- No highly detailed reports
- Limited customer support
- Potential inaccuracies in public data
- Cancellation process could be improved
- No employment/tenant screening allowed
CheckPeople is best for basic background checks giving you a general overview of a person when screening dates, friends, neighbors, etc. Serious private investigation work may require more extensive paid searches.
While CheckPeople is a solid choice, there are other background check services that may be worth considering:
- Provides tenant screening and people search tools
- Checks criminal records plus social media
- Competitive subscription pricing
- More detailed reports than CheckPeople
- Highly accurate reports from extensive databases
- Reverse phone lookups and background checks
- Robust mobile app capabilities
- Custom packages for different needs
- Includes hard-to-find information like bankruptcies
- International people search database
- Freelookup shows basic details for free
- Extensive information on individuals
- Cell phone number searches
- Email address lookups
- Reverse phone number lookups
- Social media links
While CheckPeople makes running checks easy with unlimited searches, exploring competitors may reveal additional capabilities or advantages that could be a better fit depending on your specific needs.
Legal FAQ: Background Check Laws and Your Rights
Background checks can be useful, but also controversial. It’s important to understand the laws and your responsibilities when accessing public records about others.
Is it illegal to run a background check on someone?
In most cases, no. Searching public records is legal as long as you comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and other state laws. However, there are restrictions on how that data can be used for employment, credit, etc.
Do I need permission to run a background check?
In most personal cases, you do not need permission. However, if using CheckPeople for employment screening, tenants, insurance, etc., written consent is required.
Can employers run background checks without my permission?
Yes, employers can run a background check after you sign a disclosure form permitting them to do so. They must comply with the FCRA. Some states have additional rules.
What can a personal background check on me include?
Most personal background checks include criminal records, court cases, bankruptcies, marriage/divorce records, property ownership, and professional licenses. Medical, financial, and employment files cannot be searched without your authorization.
Who has access to background check information?
Much of the data CheckPeople accesses is public record. However, CheckPeople customers must have a legitimate purpose and follow the FCRA. Background checks cannot violate privacy laws.
What if there is an error on my background check?
You have a right to dispute any inaccurate or incomplete information. The agency must investigate and correct confirmed errors. This process is outlined in the FCRA.
When do I need someone’s consent to run a check?
Permission is required for employment, housing, insurance applications, professional licensing, immigrant status, and certain business purposes defined by the FCRA. Most personal checks do not need consent.
The Takeaway: Using CheckPeople Wisely
Background checks can provide useful insights, but should be used carefully and legally. Here are some key tips:
- Clearly understand your rights and responsibilities under the FCRA and state laws before running any search.
- Only access public record data relevant to your specific need, not medical/financial files.
- Get consent first if screening for employment, housing applicants, or any purpose defined by the FCRA.
- Be mindful of people’s privacy and only use minimal necessary details for a check.
- Confirm any discrepancies through official channels – don’t assume records are 100% accurate.
- Safeguard reports responsibly and do not misuse information found.
- Contact CheckPeople support if you have any concerns about membership, cancellation, data accuracy, or security.
While not perfect, CheckPeople provides an easy way to access public information for many legitimate personal needs. Stay informed, use sound judgment, and take steps to maximize both privacy and safety.
Ready to Get Started?
We hope this comprehensive review gives you the complete picture on using CheckPeople background checks effectively. Their vast database can provide useful insights, as long as you understand the legal responsibilities and process involved.
Conducting occasional basic checks on people in your orbit can give you peace of mind and help avoid unsafe situations or relationships. Just be sure to educate yourself on proper background check practices first.
Visit the CheckPeople website to learn more and sign up for an account today. With an affordable subscription, you can run unlimited checks to uncover valuable details. Just enter a name and location and let CheckPeople work its magic!
Stay safe out there, but don’t miss out on life’s opportunities because of uncertainty. With prudent, thoughtful use, background checks allow you to keep your eyes wide open as you navigate relationships and life’s journey.